Friday, December 23, 2005

Ganeshi.

At the age of 23 mom was expecting her third child. A pampered but submissive daughter of a loving  father, mom knew that she won't be able to look after three little ones properly. Granny didn't allow abortion saying she will take care of one of us. So after my sister's birth she took me alongwith her.
 I grew up in abundance of everything; love,toys, attention etc. A fanta whenever I wanted, which was only occasional for my siblings in the another city.

There came the generation gap as a monster. Over-disciplined life out there robbed the little childhood pleasures. But God loved me  I guess and was there in GANESHI, our servant. He was my guardian angel, friend and sometimes mother. He was in his late twenties but stll called me didi.

He used to drop and fetch me from school in his cycle.On the way he allowed me to stop and touch a puppy or a calf, answered patiently all my lil queries and fears. Consoled me that God would not punish me for breaking that bird's egg because it had happened accidentally. He even bought me chooran, the black sour powder I loved to lick, which was a strict NO in granny's rulebook. He even helped in my drawing HW which was a great relief.He was there with me when I missed mom and dad.

No matter how much my grandparents cared for me, they could never understand how much I wanted to go and watch Ramlila but Ganeshi didn't stay at night so he couldn't fulfil my this wish.

Ganeshi must have grown old now, enjoying his pension, grandpa arranged for him, but he mustn't be knowing that his little-didi thinks of him...everyday! And tries to handle her own children the way he handled her once.

18 comments:

Ashish Gupta said...

//And tries to handle her own children the way he handled her once.

wondering how strongly someone might feel towards their parents/guardians when he/she does such a thing!!

Oh imitation surely is the best form of flattery!

vandy said...

Hi Ashish.
Nothing against the parents..:-)
TC

vandy said...

HI SM
Merry Christmas and HNY to u too :-)

Unknown said...

Noble thoughts :-) People have to be lucky to get such affection from the people other than relatives. You are the chosen one :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi :) A touching post. You were privileged to have such a friend...and now your children are lucky to have a mother who is consciously being a friend to them. Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too :) ! -- Zoya
http://zoyasmusings.rediffblogs.com

saurav said...

Wish you Happiness and Joy...
And Blessings for the New Year.

Wish you the best of everything...
That you so well deserve.

HAPPY NEW YEAR VANDY !!!

vandy said...

Hi Manish.
Such ppl are becoming sooo rare now.

Hi Zoya.
Am I a good mom ??this question troubles me so often..:-)
Happy New year to you too.

Hi Avik,
Thankyou so much for the lovely wishes.And to wish u a happy new year ...I'll come to ur blog:-)

Tarun said...

Happy new year Vandy....am back from India and yes I also touched down till Rishikesh.

Any way is this Ganeshi real or a part of story.

vandy said...

@Third eye.
Hi Tarun, welcome back.
So..India trip was great!

yes Ganeshi is very much real..:-)

Ashish Gupta said...

DICLAIMER: do not read. This is a passing comment. Highly useless, good for nothing {just like me :P}

Arre didi everytime I come here I am tired of seeing this same old post and also this count at its bottom - "12 comments".
Hence thot of changing that with a crap comment ;-)

Ashish Gupta said...

//tell me when did u update last

aji humne to kiya tha aapne hi nahi padha.... ab woh alag baat hai ki update tagboard mein tha aapke bhoot ke liye jo anon rehne ki bahut koshish karta hai but 'hv u heard that dialogue.."chor ke ghar mein chori........"

ROTFL =)) =))

to matlab ab bhai-bhen mein postings to lekar bhi competition hoga :O :O :O bad bad gurl you are [-X but then if you want it this way, FINE WITH ME.

come come lets play posting-posting (remember that game of fwd. mail-fwd. mail of filling inboxes!) Whoever exhausts the harddisks of blogger people wins!

NOW GO POST SOMETHING! - of course personal and nothing fwd.

Tarun said...

Kabhi Kabhi humari bhi gali aaya tum karo.....no new post.

Vini said...

came to your blog after very long today vandy.. Beautiful post and yes you were lucky to have such a person during your childhood - someone who does not curb a chids creativity just for the sake of discipline.

vandy said...

Hi Tarun...aapki gali gaye the...jaate rehete hain:-)

Hay Vini! long time.
yes u r right.

Ashish Gupta said...

"someone who does not curb a chids creativity just for the sake of disciplin"

Gotta mark this as another of our rule :D thanks vini

Tarun said...

Vandy I tag you right here
http://apniduniya.blogspot.com/2006/02/blog-post.html

The Bhandari's said...

nice and touching post :)

vandy said...

Bishwanath Ghosh said...

Marvellous post! It smells of the UP soil. And I can almost taste the chooran -- they sold it outside my school, and I still go looking for chooran-wallahs every time I visit home.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 7:02:00 AM

(comment got deleted by mistake .I'm happy I cd manage copy-paste somehow.
One of my most prized comments :-)